Medicine and Life Sciences
The Faculty of Medicine
- Find out more about the Faculty of Medicine at Imperial
Department of Life Sciences
- Find out more about the Department of Life Sciences at Imperial
The Medicine and Life Sciences stream aims to provide students with insights into degrees and careers within medicine and the life sciences through a series of lectures and practical sessions.
The classroom-based programme is accompanied by hands-on sessions in our labs and workshops, where you will use real equipment and learn a range of relevant practical skills under the supervision of Imperial teaching staff and academic mentors.
In 2019, students will enjoy an interactive session at one of Imperial’s affiliated teaching hospitals, learning clinical skills from leading health professionals. They will also spend a day within Imperial’s Faculty of Medicine, studying the physiology of the urinary system through case studies and practical experiments. The final two days of the stream will be led by Imperial’s Department of Life Sciences, who will expose students to modern approaches in the identification and isolation of genes which are introduced into Genetically Modified Organisms to give them new artificial characteristics.
Typical Programme Content
The programme is taught Monday to Friday from 09.30 to 16.30, including one hour for lunch.
On this stream you will:*
- Conduct practical experiments, collect and analyse data
- Learn real clinical skills at a teaching hospital
- Encounter new concepts and systems in lecture-led teaching sessions
- Work as part of a team to analyse case studies and construct a genogram
- Develop your understanding of molecular biology theory and practice through a range of practical activities
*Please note the above information is meant as a guide and applicants should be aware that the academic programme is subject to change. Please email us if you have any questions about the academic sessions or any other aspect of the programme.