If you are from an EU national country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and you are coming to study in the UK or are currently a student in the UK, please read the following information carefully. 

Students on courses less than 3 months long

If you are coming to the UK for up to 3 months, you can travel to and remain in the UK as long as you hold a valid national ID card or passport.

Students on courses longer than 3 months

If you are coming to the UK for longer than 3 months, you have a right to reside in the UK as a student as long as you have comprehensive sickness insurance (CSI). Access to the National Health Service in the UK is NOT an acceptable form of CSI. If your stay in the UK is temporary (until the end of your course, for example) a European Health Insurance Card obtained from your home country is acceptable as evidence of CSI. If you plan to remain in the UK permanently, or you are unable to obtain an EHIC card from your home country, you will need to obtain separate insurance. For more information on CSI please see the information provided by UKCISA

EU Referendum

The UK gave formal notification of its intention to withdraw from the European Union on 29th March 2017. It still remains a member until the process of leaving is complete – this is expected to take at least two years. Therefore, there is no immediate change to the position of EEA/Swiss nationals in the UK and students can continue to exercise their residency rights. See EU Referendum: What we know for EU students for more information. 

The UK Government has a useful page which will be kept up to date as negotiations continue. This outlines the current position for EEA nationals in the UK. See Status of EU nationals in the UK for more information and to sign up for email alerts.

Further information

For more information please refer to the following websites: